question category:

Paying rent on someone else's behalf.

My son has just moved into a council house and has applied for housing benefits. He has been advised the benefits will not be paid for two weeks. The rent is due today so I have paid on his behalf so he wont get into a problems but now I am worried this was a wrong move. I was just worried if he didnt pay on time they could put him out. Have I done the right thing?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Paying rent on someone else's behalf.

From the information provided it is not completely clear what you are questioning. If you are worried that it will affect his benefits claim in some way then you may need to ask the question of a benefits adviser or he could speak to the council about this. If you are worried that he will not be able to pay this back to you then there may be a need for him to work out the amount he can actually afford to pay back each month over a period of time.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you need further help, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed