question category: IVA

post iva debt

i have accrued a business debt since my iva and now they are sending the bailiffs, what can they take as the business has closed and they are coming to my house but i live with my mother in law

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: post iva debt

If your Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) is still in place then you may need to speak to your insolvency practice about making payments to this debt and how it may affect your IVA. If your IVA has completed you may need to speak to a debt adviser to establish more information about the type of business and business debt that you are struggling to pay. In general you do not have to allow the bailiffs into the house, whether it is yours or your mother in laws property, and bailiffs will only have the ability to take into control your items. Without additional information it would be difficult to advise on how best to approach dealing with this debt.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you're considering entering into an IVA or need further help with your IVA, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you and on whether you qualify. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed