question category:

Please help

My daughter moved out 12yrs ago but I have received a letter for money owed to the court . I own my house so cannot show them a tenancy agreement which they are asking for so I have sent off everything else they have requested. Came home today the marathon group have been out. I have called them and now I have been advised when they come back I'm to show them in my bedrooms to verify I live alone!!! I think it us terrible the enforcement officers are nothing but rude and I am totally innocent. I don't know what to do.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Please help

If you have identified that they have the wrong address and already provided them with information, perhaps a current council tax bill and they still attend then you can raise a complaint with the organisation that employs the enforcement agent. For the vast majority of enforcement action there is no right of entry to a property and they can only enter by peaceful means, by you letting them in. If they have right of entry they will show you documents proving that the court has authorised entry and they will carry identity that you can check. Although this can be distressing you could then show that the person they are looking for does not live at your address and they will leave.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you need further help, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed